Propane Industry Launches Local Consumer Education Awareness Campaign
'Exceptional' Benefits and Cost Savings of Propane to Dothan Area Residents
July 24, 2000
Dothan, Alabama - This week the Propane Education & Research Council (Council) and the Alabama Propane Gas Association (APGA) are kicking off a four-month local consumer advertising campaign - Propane. Exceptional Energy - to make residents in the 'wiregrass' region aware of propane's unique benefits as a clean, efficient, safe and cost-effective home energy source.
With fuel prices soaring to record highs, and the threat of power outages evident across the country, consumers are looking for reliable and cost-effective ways to fuel their homes. Propane gas, a fuel used by more than 60 million Americans each year, offers homeowners more value for their energy dollar.
Propane gas is a versatile fuel that is used inside and outside the home for many different applications, including home and water heating, cooking, clothes drying, pool/sauna heating, fireplaces, and grilling.
'Millions of homeowners have come to rely on propane to make their homes safe, warm and comfortable,' said Lisa Fountain, executive director, Alabama Propane Gas Association. 'We are very excited about the opportunity to share this message with consumers in the Dothan area.'
Cost Comparisons (Source: National Propane Gas Association/Propane Education & Research Council):
- According to 2000 U.S. Department of Energy statistics, it could cost up to twice as much to operate your range, water heater, dryer, or furnace with electricity as it does with propane gas.
- Propane gas furnaces last an average of 20 years, while electric heat pumps last an average of 12 years. The cost of repairing propane gas furnaces is also lower than the cost of repairing electric heaters.
- Propane gas water heaters on average cost approximately $10 less per month to operate than comparable electric units, yet heat more than twice as much water in an hour. Over an average life span, propane water heaters can save homeowners nearly $2,000 over an electric unit.
- Most manufacturers agree that the annual energy cost of propane clothes dryers is 50 percent less than for electric models.
- Propane-fueled dryers can complete drying tasks in approximately three-quarters of the time it takes an electric unit.
- Propane gas fireplace systems cost between 30 and 60 percent less per hour of operation than wood-burning fireplaces.
- In a continuing effort to make consumers aware of the many benefits of propane as a home energy source, the Council and APGA will be running both print and broadcast advertisements in the Dothan area from July 24 through November 17. The advertisements will give Dothan residents a list of area propane marketers to contact to learn more about this 'exceptional' fuel.
APGA is a valuable source of information and training for individuals involved in the propane gas industry, as well as a source of information for consumers. The purpose of APGA is to serve its membership by combining the resources of all segments of the propane gas industry in promoting the growth of the industry, and the many benefits of propane as a superior energy source. To learn more about APGA, please call 334-271-7666 or visit the web site at www.alabamapropane.com.